Sunday, September 12, 2010

Resting up ...

It rained today. A quiet, beautiful mist. And it made me happy.
But did I stay inside my warm house to enjoy the sound of rain on my tin roof, you ask? Oh no. Instead, I went on a hike with three other gringas and one Chilean named Sebastián.
There's Sebastián. Blazing the trail.
Also this weekend, while Mads took her turn at Iquique and Pica (I'm sure she'll update you soon!), I enjoyed a couple peaceful days with some of my favorite Chileans in Santiago. As Mads and I have mentioned, we will be backpacking through the Lake District and Chiloé to celebrate Chile's 200th birthday starting Tuesday, and we won't return until the following Monday! So it was nice to have a relaxing weekend at home. 

So. My weekend.

Thursday marked a first for me. I was the only gringa at a party with 30+ Chileans. It was my host sister Pauli's 26th birthday fiesta, and it occurred in my house. 
Chilean version of pizza. Complete with corn, some spicy pepperoni-of-sorts, cheese, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Homemade, of course.
Pauli's new pololo (boyfriend) Pancho and I helped make those fruit spears.
Chilean parents are totally invited to their children's birthday parties. Even if that child is turning 26.
That cake was made of blackberries and yogurt. Yeah, I know ... why had I never eaten a cake like that before? And the cake the next night was even better ... raspberry and caramel. Ahhhhh.
Friday night was birthday party with the extended family. This meant getting to see Grandma and Grandpa again. My host brother Alvaro also made a surprise visit via Skype from Australia!


Saturday, September 11, marked the anniversary of the golpe de Estado in 1973 (the day dictator Pinochet took office ... and the day the disappearances of thousands started). I was advised to not leave the house due to demonstrations. But that's OK. My parents kept things plenty lively for me.

Not surprisingly, there was a costume party. Again. My dad wanted to find his Halloween costume plenty in advance.
I don't know either. But man does that man make me smile.
Also, to prepare me for my southern adventures, southern folkloric music floated through the house all day. There was dancing. There was drinking of the characteristically southern drink chincha de uva (some grape liquor). And I caught it on tape. But it's just too great for Blogger to handle, so you're going to have to watch it on my Picasa here. Trust me. You wanna see this. Enjoy.

Well, I probably won't talk to y'all until next next week. But I'll have a lot to fill you in on when I return! Chau!

1 comment:

  1. Absters...thanks for the update and for the link to all your pics and videos. Love it,love it, love it! I hope you plan on bringing home those cake recipes with you-looked like the ones at Whole Foods. Have a great week in the South..cannot wait to hear about it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete