Saturday, November 13, 2010

zucchini fiend

This post won't be that exciting. Just wanted to introduce you to my new favorite food: zapallo italiano. That's Spanish talk for zucchini. Rosi has figured out how to make this formerly no-name vegetable (at least in my culinary experience) taste like heaven. I have eaten - count it - 5 WHOLE zucchinis this week. My host dad told me he thought I was turning green. She just slices a zucchini in half, guts the innards, mixes them with cheese and onions and hamburger meat and yummy herbs and spices, sticks the mix back in the shell and bakes. Same concept as a twice-baked potato, right? And then she feeds me, like, a zucchini-and-a-half for dinner three nights in a row, and I happily oblige. Get ready, USA. No way I'm leaving Chile without zapallo italiano in my recipe book. (Speaking of returning to the USA ... in exactly one month, one day, and one hour, Madeline and I will be beginning our journey home. Reflections and emotions to come soon.)
Great with some parm cheese. Those fried potatoes are pretty divine as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love zucchini! You better bring back that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADM. Can we please make these over X-mas break?????

    ReplyDelete